Tuesday 21 June 2011

Summer Solstice!

Today is the longest day, it’s the day when we get the most sunlight, it’s also known as The Summer Solstice, a solstice is an astronomical event when the Sun's apparent position in the sky reaches its northernmost or southernmost extremes. One of the largest Summer Solstice celebrations is held every year at Stonehenge, Mum wants to go to Stonehenge with me and Dad next year for a holiday and she loves all the magic and mystery that surrounds it!

The European celebration that accompanies the solstice is Midsummer's Eve, Bonfires are lit to protect against evil spirits which are believed to roam freely when the sun is turning southwards again, it’s now officially summer but it starts to get dark in the evenings again soon which I'm not too happy about, the weather gets cold and rainy and my walkies time decreases as well as the time I get to play ball outside with Mum and Dad, mainly because they haven't got good eye sight in the dark like me and cant find the ball, hee,hee! Last year we had quite a nice Autumn and then a freezing cold and snowy winter, lets hope we get more hot sunny days this summer because at the moment all we have had is rain! Ugh!

Most of my walks recently have been to the park, around the boardwalk and down the track Nelson way and home because the weather has been so miserable! I really enjoy my Walkies but not when its cold and drizzly! I hope its dry tonight as I'm going to get celebrating with my Summer Solstice Bonfire burning and dance in the moonlight with my paws in the air! Woooooooof!

No comments:

Post a Comment